Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Football & Film: Mostly Inspiration, with some Whipped Creme Bikinis


As there is yet another week until my fantasy draft, I thought I’d do a post on football movies. Just to keep the football talk going…

In a surprising turn of events, I usually like football movies. Maybe because they feature actors like Paul Walker and Mark Wahlberg and the storyline to football ratio is typically 70:30. And they normally have great soundtracks. But who knows for sure? So let’s do a rundown of some football movies from my perspective.

1. Varsity Blues
Hands-down one of my favorite football movies. Lots of good one-liners (let’s say it together: “penis, penis, penis, vagina, vagina, vagina.”), lots of eye-candy (Dawson with dark hair!), some good laughs, and some good drama (see: “I don’t want your life!”). I especially like the one player’s pet pig. Adorable.

However, my interest in this movie is short-lived after the “teacher in the strip club scene” as it switches primarily to football game scenes only and a lot yelling by Jon Voight, who’s pretty much a major douche bag in this movie. But, overall an entertaining film. Follows the “small town boy with big college dreams” plotline.

2. Remember the Titans
Okay, most important thing about this movie? It features a young Ryan Gosling. Let me repeat that, a YOUNG Ryan Gosling. That right there is worth the viewing.

Set in the sixties, it features Denzel Washington (extra points) as the first black football coach at a recently integrated school (yep, based on a true story). Denzel plays a great role and the movie focuses on the growing friendships amongst team members, most notably between two players, and how the town adjusts to the change. So it’s got some pretty inspirational themes. I also remember crying at the end, so between Ryan Gosling and that, it’s a pretty girl-friendly movie. Put it on the list as date night approved.

3. The Replacements
This movie is about a misfit team of players who take over when the pros go on strike. The quarterback is played by Keanu Reeves, who pretty much leads the team (as a quaterback should, I believe?). There’s a bunch of good laughs in this movie, with a little inspiration thrown in. The characters are very memorable; two of my favorites include two sumo wrestlers on the defense and a “wiry” kicker. And apparently, when the pro-teams go on strike, so do the cheerleaders. Or at least in this movie. So they are also replaced…by strippers. All in all, a funny film that gets you rooting for the underdogs.

Now at this point, my knowledge of football movies becomes a little hazy, so we’re moving onto the lightening round.

4. Brian’s Song
Know it’s a classic tear-jerker and based on actual people/events, but saw it in elementary school, so my memory ends there. But ladies, if you want to win some points with your significant other, bring this one home as a surprise. Pretty sure all men love this movie.

5. Invincible
Marky-Mark portrays a (real) guy who was a huge Eagles fan in the 70s. The Eagles hold an open tryout and he makes the team and plays in one game (I think). The end.

6. Rudy
Samwise Gamgee gets to fulfill his dream of being on the Notre Dame Football team. (Okay, not really him, but Sean Astin portrays the real guy. Have another true story here. I sense a trend.)

Seriously, my Dad had it on one Saturday afternoon when I was in middle school, people. That’s all I know. I did remember the movie enough to refer to Sean Astin as “Rudy” in the Lord of the Rings. (Can we all agree he was the real hero in those movies? Frodo? Not so much.) But it’s another classic and ranked on the “most inspirational movies” list.

7. The Blindside
Homeless teenager gets adopted and goes on to play football in college and eventually goes pro. Sandra Bullock plays a feisty southern momma. And who doesn't love Sandra Bullock?

Alright, that’s it. That is my official knowledge on football movies. If R.H. were here, I’m sure he’d be able to tell me the true stories behind most of them (especially Invincible as he’s an Eagles fan). But he’s not here and this is about my knowledge, right? And my knowledge according to this list is: football inspires people and brings them together. So if you’re looking for some inspiration, maybe try a football movie. However, I’d stick with the ones based on true stories if that’s what you’re after…you can’t dig too deep into Varsity Blues and The Replacements.

No comments:

Post a Comment